Columbia College is located in Columbia, the capital of South Carolina. The greater Columbia metropolitan area, known as the Midlands of the state, has a population of more than 600,000.
The city presents Columbia College students with a variety of exciting attractions and activities:
- Columbia has a thriving arts community that includes the Columbia Museum of Art, South Carolina Philharmonic Orchestra, Columbia City Ballet, Koger Center for the Arts, South Carolina Shakespeare Company and numerous theatres and performing arts centers.
- Five Points, Columbia's version of Greenwich Village, offers an array of retail shops, boutiques, art galleries, restaurants, coffee bars, and night spots.
- The Congaree Vista is Columbia's latest hot spot, with trendy shops, art galleries, restaurants, brew pubs and nightclubs.
- Riverbanks Zoo is known as one of the top 20 zoos in the country.
- Finlay Park, a 12-acre downtown park, has cascading waterfalls, bike and rollerblade paths, playgrounds, and outdoor concert and theatre venues.
- Nearby Lake Murray, with more than 500 miles of shoreline, is the perfect spot for fishing, boating and swimming.
- Columbia is also home to nine colleges and universities, including the University of South Carolina. With more than 26,000 students, USC is located four miles from the Columbia College campus.
Out-of-town trips also are easy from Columbia, which is at the intersection of Interstates 26, 20 and 77. From here, a short day trip can lead to the mountains or to the beaches of Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach. Historic Charleston is only two hours away.